Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weaning Complete


It's been a rough couple days for us, but Caden is officially weaned! We are a month behind my original ending date, but I'm glad we took the extra time to really ease into it. The first night was the worst and each has gotten a lot better. Tonight he was actually settled down enough to listen to books and I don't think the thought of nursing even crossed his mind. I'm sad that this aspect of our relationship has come to an end, but I'm trying not to dwell on it and focus on how proud I am of him instead. He's really a big boy now!

In other news, I think Caden is really on the brink of learning to talk. He's started repeating a lot of sounds after us, including "da da da da," "mom," and "di di" (diaper). Today I started asking him if he could say ball and you could tell his mouth was forming the word and then he'd get a huge smile and not actually say anything. But he's so close! One of the funniest things now is when we read the book "Yummy Yucky." After every yummy thing we both go "mmmm" and after every yucky think we say "blech." He gets really into the yuckys!

Caden made another friend at Crea's house today. Her name is Evelyn and she's a month or two older than him (but much smaller). This afternoon when we went over Evelyn was sitting on one of the bikes and Caden started pushing her down the sidewalk. He had a gigantic grin while he did it. Then she got off and he followed right along side her and pointed out another bike for her. She got on it and he pushed her again! It was adorable. Then when it was time for her and her sister Ayla (previously called Ava by me by mistake) to leave, Ayla came over and hugged Caden and then he waved at them until they were out of sight. Even Crea pointed out how much more comfortable he seems to feel lately around the other kids.

It's taken forever, but Caden now waves every time we tell him to. Greg said that on their walk last night Caden waved to everyone he saw. When I've been in stores with him he waves at all the cashiers. He's getting good at repeating almost any motion we do. When we were outside earlier I was rubbing my arms and said "ooh, I have shivers." He immediately started doing it too. I guess I better crack open that sign language book and take advantage of his eagerness to learn these days!


Along with the fun stuff, Caden's also been forming some bad habits. Now when he gets angry his first response is always to bite the nearest person or object. I have a huge bruise on my arm from when he bit me at Cub yesterday because I wouldn't give him my wallet while I was paying. Then when he didn't know I was in the room I saw him start wrestling with his cabbage patch doll because it wasn't sitting right on the chair and then he started biting his cheek. He's also started fake crying whenever he thinks it'll serve his purposes. Usually in a store. It has not been fun!

We've had a lot of fun outside the last few days taking advantage of the beautiful weather. It's supposed to rain the next few, however, so I'm looking forward to trying out some indoor activities I've been reading about. I'll let you know how they go!

No comments:

Post a Comment